Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Surah Al-An'am

I don't know how to describe this Surah accurately. The Quran is full of stories but this surah struck a different chord with me. I was intensely angry with the level of ignorance evident today, and perhaps I was even more frustrated knowing that I let myself contribute to this societal cancer. In an attempt to calm myself down, I opened the Quran, and found this verse:

"If their dislike is hard on you, then see if you can seek a tunnel in the ground or a ladder to the sky, so that you can bring them a sign. (You know) if Allah willed, Allah could have gathered them on the guidance. So do not be like the ignorant. "


6:35 Surah Al-An'am


This verse to me, is extremely powerful and I don't think my interpretation can do justice to it(even that is an understatement).

Just to be clear, The interpretation is obvious but I really hate to appear using Quranic verses to justify my actions or to make myself feel better because it's parallel to my actions/thoughts.

This verse calmed me down for 1 reason: it was a solution.


You are not entitled to be angry at those who challenge your thoughts whether rightfully or not. You have no liberty to ridicule the ignorant. They are not deserving of your judgment because "If Allah willed, Allah could have gathered them on guidance" and to top it all perfectly "So do not be like the ignorant" because firstly, ignorance is the source of moral decadence but the ignorant can turn into the conscious and the scariest part is vice versa.


At one point I did feel like it's easier to hide knowledge and consciousness because sometimes it repels people (real scientific research has proven so). Once you start hiding, you stop yearning to know more because sharing or application of knowledge is ultimately the end to this means. So the best thing to do is stated already in that verse. Don't perceive to remain the guided one forever, don't past judgment on others and most importantly, enrich yourself with knowledge even when others fail to do so because only Allah knows what our thoughts are.

No comments: