Thursday, October 30, 2008

An eye opener


These are the kids I see playing on the streets near my Language school.
Just yesterday, I saw an even smaller girl, running to the small shop next to the language centre to buy some everyday-medicine, perhaps for her mum. Imagine that.
As she was walking back, I offered her some food,but she refused,looking very shy. To her, I was a stranger, as I did not speak arabic. Kids here usually aren't afraid of being approached, but I just didn't know what to say or how to say it, so she might have felt a little odd. She ran back, in the middle of the road, and I saw her fall flat on her face. She got up, as if nothing happened, and continued running those baby steps untill her image was no longer visible to my awesome eyes.
In malaysia, babies like this, cry every day. falling down is one parent's worst fear. they have the best privileges. At that age,they should. That girl I saw, was no bigger than 3 years. Who lets their 3 year old child out on the streets. In malaysia, 6 year olds risked being kidnapped and raped. It's a crazy world we live in, and it's getting crazier by the minute.
these kids are poverty stricken, but I see them smiling generously as i look at them playing. They laugh when I showed them the picture I took. I can't help but feel they deserve better.who wouldn't?
People asked why I come to Egypt just to learn Arabic when you can do it in Malaysia. This, to me,is a good enough reason. getting out of my comfort zone and witnessing daily, how priviliged I am,is really what I need to put some sense in my mind. Not just for me to be extra grateful, but for me to actually adjust my priorities in life.
We find God in the most maginificent ways when we try.
Open your minds, don't be another Victim of this treacherous world.

1 comment:

Qaisy Jaslenda said...

Wow Ainul...

(speechless)