Saturday, October 18, 2008

I will never drive in Egypt.

I just had to put this here now.
In my previous post,i had mentioned a line about notorious Egyptian drivers.
They drive like hooligans.

The streets/roads here are pretty wide,in comparison to Malaysia. The normal main road,usually consists of 3 wide lanes. however, the drivers here, seem to come up with a doubling system. 3 wide lanes=6 small lanes. Cars are inches away from each other. They hon every 5 seconds and I'm not exaggerating. Almost all..on second thought, ALL cars are dented. Even the latest most luxurious cars can be seen with scratches and ugly dents. You can never find a car which gives signals. Side mirrors are usually there for deco.

The funniest thing was, as I was about to cross the street, I saw many weird vehicles from Army Trucks to donkeys all of which will annoyingly press their hon as they pass by just to warn pedestrians and other road users. at least, that's what I think their reason is. I was just laughing my ass off at the sight of that, you just have to witness it yourself to understand. Little did I know, that one way street is just another "i do what I want Street". So, after laughing hard, I saw another car, coming from the opposite direction,zooming through, honking every 3 seconds on that one way street.
It was hillarious at that spot, because it totally takes you by surprise. Even the presence of donkeys is somewhat peculiar. What more, a speeding car which happily speeds its way in the opposite direction of a current of reckless egyptian drivers.

If you think the traffic in Malaysia is gila, You'd go bananas if you drive here. and Believe me, I drive my mom and sister to work sometimes, so I KNOW first hand, how gila KL traffic is.

The things you see when you travel. Gawrsh, what a beautiful world.

2 comments:

aish. said...

actually i read about the crazy honking in a newspaper article. apparently it's not a sign of rudeness, but more of an acknowledgment to those who are on/off the road. like saying "Hi, car coming through", in easier terms...And this kind of honking is seen in jakarta/bangalore/India and in your case....egypt. basically most third-world countries with too much cars? i dunno. glad youre enjoying your trip!

Unknown said...

i totally know what u mean! the drivers there are crazy kannnn?